Friday 20 November 2015

Why Are Teens So Misunderstood?


Teenagers are often misunderstood. I wanted to ask for a teenagers opinion as to why. Here is one explanation brought to you by a talented 16 year old named Jasmina.



By: Jasmina M.

Let me be honest with you, being a teenager is not as easy.  Okay, we are cranky, sometimes over exaggerate things, have random outburst of feelings that even we can’t explain, and just in general
‘make your lives difficult’. Right?

I feel like, as if we’re a completely different species, teens are greatly misunderstood creatures. People judge us based on looks – why is she wearing a skirt that short?  Why did he get that haircut, he looks far from sophisticated?  Why put on so much makeup, she looks like a clown?   But let me ask you one thing – think back to your teen-days.  Were you all goody-goody and perfect and not in the slightest way rebellious?   I sincerely doubt it – as much as you hope your memories will show a perfect child, there’s a 99% chance they won’t.   No child is perfect, and especially if that child is starting to grow up.

If a teenager wants to look a certain way, then why can’t they?  They’re adventurous, and odds are they’re still trying to find their real self, which isn’t an easy job, so why stop them from experimenting?  Okay, we do go over the top sometimes, and sometimes don’t quite understand why or how it’s wrong, so explain, help us understand rather than judging and telling us to ‘go and change’.  Telling us to do something without giving a reason we understand will lead to even further rebellions, trust me, I’ve seen it. 

I think a big problem in the world of a teenager is the emotions.  Imagine every single feeling you feel during the day, but magnified around fifty times.  That’s what the average teen feels like.  I get it that you, as an adult, may not find the same thing as me, a teenager, exciting, or sad, or infuriating. So please, sympathize with me.  Try and imagine what I’m feeling and then you might be a step closer to accepting me as I am – just because the emotions might be caused my hormones, they’re still real emotions, I can still feel them, they’re still valid.

I think some general advice for understanding teenagers better is simply to try and sympathize with them – it works wonders, it really does!

Jasmina – Thank you for your explanation.  Teen’s opinions are not asked often enough. If you have something to add please add your comments below.   

P.S.  Make sure you share this with anyone struggling with a teen. 

@LifesBaggage
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/LifesBaggage/
www.LifesBaggage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment